Home improvements increase your home enjoyment, but they also affect your home’s resale value – a clean and de-cluttered home requires minimal improvement investment, but can yield a significant 543% return on investment*. These tips will help you plan your home organization with a focus on resale value:
- Toss – Remove home contents you don’t need or haven’t used in the past 12 months. Host a garage sale to turn items into cash, or donate them to charity
- Store – Take advantage of a large array of storage solutions that will tidy closets, drawers and cupboards. Specialty items are available for storing just about any item from holiday décor to your ironing board
- Rotate – Pack seasonal items out of sight in a clean, dry location, rotating them in and out as needed. Clothing and linen can be suction packed to free up precious closet space
- Hide – Everything else in your home should have a dedicated place where it is kept, preferably out of sight but easily accessible. Be creative. A stylish chest can double as a coffee table and an unobtrusive toy box for example
- Redecorate – Minimize furnishings and knick-knacks and ensure they are appropriate to the room’s function. Try to neutralize your décor and use easy-to-rotate draperies, pillows and art to add colour and personal expression
- Arrange – Place remaining furniture and décor items in a fashion that optimizes the available space and leaves a roomy impression. Arrange your items to create flow between adjoining rooms
- Clean – Thoroughly clean every corner of your home. Clean, dust and wash the floors, walls, ceilings, fixtures, windows, window coverings, furniture, décor items and other contents at least twice annually
- Fix – Keep a list of desired home repairs and have a qualified handyman on standby to assist with required fixes on a scheduled basis. If you have the skills, make the required repairs as they occur
- Shop – Minimize purchasing unnecessary items for your home. Create a household rule whereby you remove an existing item for every new item purchased.
- Internalize – Maintain an organized home by staying on top of cleaning and avoiding clutter. You will feel more relaxed and you will maximize your home enjoyment
Keeping your home clean and de-cluttered minimizes its preparation for sale. Most importantly, an organized and well tended home means you will maximize your resale value as more buyers are able to envision themselves living in your space.
* HomeGain.com, Inc., REALTOR® Survey